Why Ordinary Walks Become Some of Our Favorite Memories
Some of my favorite family memories don't come from vacations or milestone celebrations.
They come from ordinary afternoons.
A few weeks ago, we spent the day exploring a wooded trail with our family. There wasn't a schedule to keep or a special event to celebrate. We simply walked together, talked, climbed over rocks, discovered little places along the path, and enjoyed being outside.
Looking back through the photos afterward, I realized something.
Very few of them are what most people would call "perfect."
There are pictures from behind as we walked down the trail. One of the kids is looking the wrong way. Water bottles are dangling from our hands. Shoes are dusty. Hair isn't perfectly in place.
And yet...
Those are the photographs that make me smile the most.
Because they tell the truth.
They remind me of conversations I had already forgotten, little hands reaching for reassurance along the trail, laughter echoing beneath the trees, and the joy of simply spending time together.
It's easy to believe we need extraordinary moments to create meaningful memories.
But the older I get, the more I realize that life is built from ordinary Tuesdays, weekend walks, family dinners, and quiet conversations.
Those are the moments that become the mosaic of our lives.
As memory keepers, we sometimes wait for birthdays, holidays, or vacations before pulling out the camera.
Maybe we shouldn't.
Maybe today's walk around the neighborhood...
the trip to the farmer's market...
the afternoon spent exploring a park...
or simply sitting together on the porch...
will someday become the stories our children and grandchildren treasure most.
Those everyday moments deserve to be remembered too.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
From the Studio
Interestingly, these walks inspired me in another way.
As I was designing my newest Color Story collection, Olive Grove, I kept thinking about the quiet beauty of places like this—the layers of green, weathered wood, sunlight filtering through the trees, and the peaceful feeling of slowing down long enough to notice them.
If you've been looking for a collection that celebrates those simple, everyday moments, I hope you'll take a look at Olive Grove. It was created with exactly these kinds of memories in mind.
This Week's Memory Challenge
The next time you're out with family or friends, take one photo that isn't posed.
Capture the walk.
The conversation.
The little hands.
The ordinary path.
Years from now, it may become one of your favorite memories.
Comments
Post a Comment